Volunteer with Children at Social Risk in Santiago de Chile!
art / culture, children, community, education, workshops , youth
2016-09-05 - 2017-02-28
(1-6 months, 6-12 months, over a year)
Description of organisation:
VE Global fosters the development of children at social risk in Chile by training and empowering volunteers to serve as positive role models, educators and advocates of social justice in order to work towards our vision of creating a global community that ensures equality of opportunity for all children.
VE has successfully integrated over 450 full-time volunteers from more than 35 countries into our network of local partner organizations, including children’s shelters, community centers and schools in the most vulnerable neighborhoods of Santiago, creating engaging education and recreation programs for children. We also develop leadership and mentoring skills in volunteers throughout their intensive, long-term service commitment.
Volunteers build strong relationships with the children for whom they provide support, friendship and the chance to just have fun and be a kid during their full-time commitment with VE Global at their placements in VE Global partner organizations. Volunteers work roughly 75% of their time in the VE partner organization and the other 25% on supporting VE Global directly as part of the team.
Description of a place:
VE Global volunteers live and work in Santiago, Chile's capital city of around 6 million people. Volunteers have the opportunity to live and work in a large, safe metropolitan city in South America while helping children and youth at risk in some of the city's more vulnerable areas and neighborhoods.
Is there a possibility to go with a friend/family for this volunteering programme?
Description of a target group/who can be a volunteer:
Anyone 18 and over from around the world can volunteer with VE Global.
See the application section of our website at http://www.ve-global.org/volunteer/apply-now/ for more details, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about our volunteer program.
Apply now to join our team in January 2017 or May 2017!
Description of a volunteer’s duties:
VE volunteers help implement our four educational programs: ¡Vamos a Leer!, Festival de Arte, Liga de Deportes and English in Motion. Each volunteer is placed in one of our partner social service organizations where they mentor children in a variety of ways, from assisting with homework to playing games to creating and running their own workshops and activities.
Information about accommodation, food and logistic:
VE charges NO program or application fees to volunteer, but volunteers commit to participating in fundraising to keep the program no-fee.
Volunteers are required to cover all of their own food, travel, lodging, health insurance and other personal expenses related to their volunteer experience.
Possibility of spending free time:
VE volunteers receive 2 vacation days per month during their full-time commitment in addition to all Chilean holidays, which provides ample opportunity to travel during the volunteer experience. Many volunteers also plan extra time either immediately before or immediately following their volunteer experience to do extended travel in Chile and throughout other parts of South America.
The date of the beginning & end of the placement:
The date of the beginning of the placement:
VE offers volunteer opportunities during 3 volunteer arrival groups a year: in January, May and September. Volunteers must participate in VE Global's extensive training and orientation program prior to beginning their VE Global placement in a partner organization.
The date of the end of the placement:
Volunteers complete their 4-month commitment with the arrival of the next volunteer group, to support their training and orientation.
- 24-hour emergency phone
- 24-hour in-country support
- Airport pick-up
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- All necessary project training by experienced staff
- Location orientation
- Long term experienced staff
- Pre-departure support and discounted services
- Welcome meeting
What's Not Included:
- All meals
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Visa costs